Amazing Lasagna Bolognese Recipe!

Bolognese Lasagna Recipe

You’re going to love this rich and creamy lasagna bolognese recipe. The weather turned cold and rainy, so my instinct to eat hearty foods is increasing.

A few weekends ago, I found myself craving a meaty bolognese sauce. Granted, it’s likely because I’ve been overdosing on old TV episodes of Lidia Bastianich on PBS. Lidia enchanted me from an early age. I love how she makes Italian cooking so approachable.

Normally, I use jarred sauce to make my sweet italian sausage lasagna. This time though I spent the time to develop an amazing bolognese sauce using Lidia’s recipe. The recipe makes a large batch which allows me to freeze it in serving size portions for our small two-person household.

Lidia’s recipe includes two different bolognese versions, the recipe Antica that uses milk and the recipe Tradizionale that uses broth. I made the Tradizionale as I didn’t have any milk on hand.

Making the Bolognese Sauce

This shot from my cell phone shows the cooking in process, about 2 hours into the simmering:

Bolognese Sauce

The sauce isn’t quick to make. It simmers for 3 hours so do it when you have an afternoon to devote to it. Trust me though, the sauce is worth every minute.

The recipe makes about 12 cups, which I divided into 6 2-cup portions after the sauce had cooled. It freezes well and can be pulled out of the freezer to dress any shape of pasta or to be layered in a decadent lasagna.

Bolognese & Bechamel Lasagna

Lately, lasagna that includes a bechamel sauce is my favorite. It’s thicker and richer — so very delicious. I constructed my lasagna using the directions in Simply Recipe’s lasagna bolognese, but I used Lidia’s bolognese sauce from my freezer.

I made the lasagna the day before I planned to bake it as I think the flavors develop even more. Assemble your lasagna and cover with foil or plastic wrap, then place in the fridge until time to bake.

Lasagna Prep

For this recipe, I used 2 cups of bolognese sauce, a half pound lasagna noodles, and the bechamel sauce from recipe noted above. In a 9×13 lasagna pan the lasagna comes about halfway up the dish and makes a thinner lasagna. I like it thinner and more shallow in the dish as it maximizes the crusty, cheesy surface area on the top!

Spread the love

How do I keep this site free for everyone to use?

My site contains affiliate links (like the ones shown above^). I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. If you buy something through one of the links, I may earn a small commission which helps keep this site available for you and others to enjoy.

• Ashley Bee October 18, 2012, 10:22 am

I grew up with vegetarian lasagna, so I never even knew traditional lasagna had meat! I’d probably half the meat in this and add my veggies :)

• Nicole November 5, 2012, 2:50 pm

This is making crave lasagna sooooooo bad! I still watch Lidia all the time on PBS and I always wish that I could hang out in her kitchen with her!

• Karen January 3, 2013, 4:52 pm

I have used Simply Recipe’s bolognese for a few years now and have always loved it but I can not wait to try Lydia’s as well. It looks fabulous I think I will be making a pan this weekend! Also, I adore béchamel :) Thanks for sharing.

• Viktor January 22, 2013, 11:39 am

Hi Allen.

What a great professionally designed and marketed blog you have! That’s amazing to find it and read some of your latest posts. I love lasagnia, especially with bolognese and bechamel sauces. I even recently tried to cook lasagnia by myself, but every time I suffered in googling for the best recipes. So thanks for this post and your recipe. I’ll try it.

Happy cooking and blogging!
    Viktor

• Jennifer January 22, 2013, 12:30 pm

I can’t be more excited about this recipe or about finding your site. I’m going to have lots of fun browsing!

• Allen Williams January 22, 2013, 3:15 pm

Thanks, everyone! I will be posting some new recipes soon. ;-)

• Paula Bonde January 24, 2013, 4:46 pm

The recipes sound delicious! I love cooking, started having fun with it about six years ago (when I had to learn the basics!) and now I keep looking for new ideas to try out. Looking forward to getting more ideas from you!

– Paula

• Lorie January 26, 2013, 2:04 pm

I love making bolognese sauce but I just the pork country style ribs. After a few hours in the sauce, I take them out & pull the meat and put back in the sauce. It’s phenominal. “The secret to good sauce is the pork” ~ Nonni

• Karin February 3, 2013, 12:53 pm

Great website. looking forward to more posts

Welcome to Eating Out Loud and thank you for visiting. You’ll find delicious recipes, crochet patterns, quilting ideas, and a wide range of other topics of interest to me.