I can’t believe it’s done. Fully quilted, bound, and washed. Although we were having the in-laws over for dinner last night, I decided to make it my mission to get this quilt done. After grocery shopping in the morning and preparing two salads, I set to work building my quilt sandwich by 10am. I sewed non-stop until 4pm to pause for dinner prep. I then sewed from 8-11pm.
I don’t recommend this intensive sewing approach as it’s physically exhausting. By the end of the night, my lower back was not happy and I felt 100 years old.
Quilt Sandwich & Quilting
Although it was my first time putting together a quilt sandwich, it went pretty quickly. I placed the batting on the carpeted guest room floor and placed the quilt top on it. Folding half of the quilt back, I sprayed the batting with spray adhesive. I then flipped it over and followed the same process for the backing.
The adhesive didn’t seem all that sticky and I worried this would turn out to be a huge mess. However, 505 works amazingly well and I didn’t have any issues with fabric slipping or moving whatsoever.
Oh, I hand grandiose plans about doing a diamond grid over the quilt. However, I decided it was well beyond my skill level (and patience level), so I opted to go simple and use a pattern which didn’t require tedious amounts of line drawing.
I used my standard presser foot to do straight stitching on the quilt. I started by quilting the full rows of white that surround each block vertically and horizontally. Using the edge of the blocks as my guide, I sewed in 1/4″ inch along both sides of each white strip. No marking required since I could run my presser foot along the quilt blocks. The intersection of the vertical and horizontal white strips created a square at the block corners which mimicked the blocky quilt design.
I then stitched in the ditch around the quilt top (using the block edges once again as my guide). I repeated this again by running another line around the perimeter 1/4″ from the ditch.
All of this set off the blocks nicely. I decided to go simple with the blocks and ran 3 vertical lines down each block. This part I totally eye-balled and did not mark. The first line down the center of the rectangle, the second line vertically down the interior white strip, and the third down the two squares. Since the blocks are rotated in the quilt pattern, this effect created a nice effect on the quilt back.
I decided to go easy (and controversial) for the binding. On my previous two quilts, I’ve used the traditional method of sewing on the binding, then folding over and hand stitching to the back. I’m not gonna lie, I dreaded the hand stitching.
So, I used my iron to press my binding into a double fold bias tape. I wrapped the tape around the quilt edge and top stitched, sewing through both the top and back at the same time. I ran a second line of stitching around the binding (1/4″ from the first line) for extra security but also for the visual effect. I love how it turned out! The photo doesn’t do it justice (and this wasn’t one of my better corners):
You’ll notice all all of these photos that the quilt looks very crinkly. Yes, I washed it immediately (and the fabric is super soft). I’m one of those people who love the crinkle effect caused by the shrinkage. My mother is more of a traditionalist and cringes when I tell her that I wash my quilts after the sewing is completed:
And, here is our guest bed folded down with the new quilt. I think it’s going to make our house guests feel at home:
This site contains affiliate links like the ones shown above. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. If you buy something through one of the links, I may earn a small commission which helps keep this site available for you and others to enjoy.