Herb Mustard Glazed Salmon

I have a love/hate relationship with salmon. There’s something about the oily fish and distinct flavor that can sometimes put a frown on my face. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve eaten salmon and thought, “wow, this is incredibly good”. But, for health reasons, I try and keep it in my diet. I’ve used this recipe a few times since it adds lots of additional flavor which blends nicely with the salmon. It’s a good preparation for folks who may be on the fence with their affection for this fish.

Is it bad of me to acknowledge that I don’t love every morsel of food that’s passed my lips? I certainly hope so. I mention this due to a comment I received today on an old post where the reader noted a difference in their sense of taste compared to my ‘refined palate’. Um, this mouth has consumed more Cheetos, pickled bologna, crushed potato chips on cottage cheese, spam and eggs on rice, and Velveeta grilled cheese sandwiches than I care to admit. My palate is quite the opposite. I just like what I like. I don’t care for salmon but I can eat it.

I blame my dislike for salmon on my Aunt. I remember her babysitting my brother and I from time to time at her house. I distinctly remember a dinner of ‘salmon cakes’ made from canned salmon that turned my stomach in every direction. Some thirty years later I can still see and smell those salmon cakes. Oh dear god they were awful. Fortunately, Giada is helping me to come to terms with my salmon issues.

Broiled Salmon with Herb Mustard Glaze
from Giada De Laurentiis

2 garlic cloves
3/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tablespoon dry white wine
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
Nonstick cooking spray
6 (6-8oz) salmon fillets
salt and pepper
lemon wedges

In a food processor, add the garlic, rosemary, thyme, wine, oil, dijon, and half of the whole-grain mustard. Pulse until fully blended. Pour into a bowl and add the remaining whole-grain mustard, stir to combine.

Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray. Arrange the salmon fillets on the tray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil for 2 minutes. Spoon the mustard sauce over the fillets and broil until glaze is golden and fish is done, about 5 minutes longer. Serve with lemon wedges.

I served the salmon on top of my sesame green beans with a few slices of lemon and rosemary sprigs for garnish. The fish is so quick to prepare which makes it perfect for even a weeknight. I served this to my brother and he enjoyed it (or so he said). I love the herby-mustard crust and how much flavor it brings to the salmon.

If you have any salmon haters in your life, this might just be the recipe to appease them. I can’t guarantee it will convert them, but they may be able to get the food down without as many complaints :-)

Spread the love

How do I keep this site free for everyone to use?

My site contains affiliate links (like the ones shown above^). I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. If you buy something through one of the links, I may earn a small commission which helps keep this site available for you and others to enjoy.

• Peter G September 10, 2008, 12:54 am

I totally agree Allen! I’m not the world’s biggest salmon lover but I will have it when its cooked with my desired flavours. I could certainly enjoy this one!

• Manggy September 10, 2008, 3:03 am

What do you remember about the salmons that you’ve loved before? :) I’ve never had grainy mustard before, but I love its luxurious appearance. I’ve no doubt this tasted really good. Score one for Little Big Head! (Er, Ms. GdiL)
    Spam and eggs on rice sounds perfect, but pickled bologna sounds downright nasty!

• Christie i. September 10, 2008, 6:07 am

Awesome recipe! I am making salmon tonight and was really looking for a broiling method that doesn’t burn the glaze. I am going to try the cooking it a bit first trick. Thanks!

• kat September 10, 2008, 9:03 am

Isn’t it amazing how a childhood experience can ruin a food for you in your adulthood. I’m glad you are working through your salmon adversion.

• Daniel September 10, 2008, 9:07 am

Like the mustard glaze a lot. I’ve done something similar before. I had your beans last night, paired with some Orange Roughy and they were a big hit!

• food librarian September 10, 2008, 10:27 am

This looks so good any salmon hater would reconsider! The green beans look delicious!

• Peter September 10, 2008, 12:33 pm

Nice find Allen, thanks for the confessional and go eat canned salmon! lol

I do enjoy salmon but have it sparingly to keep the mercury levels in my body in check. ;)

• patsyk September 10, 2008, 1:40 pm

I don’t cook salmon as often as I’d like because sometimes it just doesn’t turn out as I’d like. This recipe sounds like something my whole family would enjoy.

As for salmon cakes, it’s a shame that is what turned you off of salmon. My mom made them for me growing up and I loved them! I made them a few months back and they were so quick and simple – great for a weeknight dinner.

• farida September 10, 2008, 6:32 pm

Allen, I see you’ve launched your new blog already! How could i miss it! First of, it is absolutely beutiful, I mean your blog, and salmon is too as a matter of fact:) I have a love relationship with salmon and I never have enough recipes with it! Yours looks so delicious. What a coincidence – today I posted an adaption of Giada’s ricotta cookies on my blog:)

• farida September 10, 2008, 6:33 pm

Forgot to tell you – YOUR PICTURES ARE ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! You should teach me a few tricks. I am still struggling with my photography, it’s never good enough for me:)

• Y September 10, 2008, 8:23 pm

I love the look of that glaze. Must try this some time, as I’m not adverse to eating salmon at all! :D

• Gabriel Bucataru September 10, 2008, 8:45 pm

Superb recipe!

My struggle with salmon is actually buying the right piece at the right time. For some mysterious reason it happens that the same recipe made EXACTLY the same way, turns up sometimes radically different. Perhaps salmon tastes differently each season?

• PaniniKathy September 10, 2008, 9:47 pm

I love mustard-glazed salmon – so quick, easy and delicious. I’ve never tried it with herbs, but it’s got to be even better. Your photos are practically edible!

• helen September 12, 2008, 9:23 am

I don’t struggle as much as you but I certainly don’t count salmon among my favourite fish and I actually just realised I can’t remember the last time I ate it. i think you are right in that in needs big, bold flavours to carry it along, otherwise I find it almost sickly.

• ozamerican September 21, 2008, 5:57 am

Whoa! I remember salmon cakes! Those cans must have been left over from WWII rations or something. Jeez Louise!

Yes, it takes a long time to love salmon after salmon cakes.

Your recipe looks good… I’ll give it a try. I’ve now learned to love salmon, so it won’t be a problem. My favorite meal, in fact, is simple, grilled salmon spritzed with lemon and served on mashed potatoes (seasoned with nutmeg). To die for!

• Sonia April 3, 2009, 8:12 pm

Salmon cakes are delicious. What did your aunt put in hers? I just add egg, bread crumbs, and… wait… maybe that’s it! Flour? It’s been a while and I always improvise. Maybe her canned salmon was sub-par.

• helen May 28, 2009, 12:31 pm

It’s almost salmon time in Vancouver, and there is such a thing as feeling salmon’ed out.

Welcome to Eating Out Loud and thank you for visiting. You’ll find delicious recipes, crochet patterns, quilting ideas, and a wide range of other topics of interest to me.