Buckwheat Sesame Noodles

Sesame noodles are one of my favorite quick meals, from beginning to end you can have them on the table in about 15 minutes. Coated in a creamy and sesame-nutty sauce, I’ve reduced the fat, used whole-grain noodles, and boosted the veggies to make this a healthy and guilt-free version.

I am addicted to pasta of all varieties and can eat it by the plate-full. In order to curb my carb intake, I’ve created a new household rule. When preparing a pasta dish, you must use a pasta to veggie ratio of 1:1. With these sesame noodles, I used tender and sweet sugar-snap peas, bean sprouts, and green onions. You could easily substitute with whatever veggies you have on hand … broccoli, spinach, or water chestnuts.

Over the weekend, I picked up a package of Japanese buckwheat noodles. I hadn’t realized that they contained a good amount of fiber — what a great discovery! So often, ‘healthy’ whole-grain pastas taste like twigs or cardboard. Look for buckwheat noodles in your ethnic foods aisle or in any Asian market. The noodles I purchased only take 5 minutes to cook, so this makes for a quick meal.

Buckwheat Sesame Noodles

8 oz. buckwheat noodles
8 oz. sugar-snap peas, trimmed
1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
4 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons reduced-fat peanut butter (Smart Balance)
1 tablespoon non-fat greek-style yogurt (Oikos)
4 tablespoons lite soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon chili oil

In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by whisking together the peanut butter, yogurt, soy sauce, sesame oil, and chili oil. Set aside.

In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add buckwheat noodles. The buckwheat noodles take about 5 minutes to cook but I also need to blanch the peas. After 2 minutes of cooking I add the peas to the noodles and continue cooking until I’ve reached the full 5 minutes. Pour into a colander and immediately rinse with cold water to stop the noodles and peas from cooking.

In a large bowl, toss the noodles and peas with the sauce. Once coated, toss in the bean sprouts and green onion. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

I prefer to serve these noodles at room temperature. In addition to customizing the vegetables used in the dish, you can also add a bit of roasted chicken breast to add protein and more substance.

Spread the love

How do I keep this site free for everyone to use?

My site contains affiliate links (like the ones shown above^). I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. If you buy something through one of the links, I may earn a small commission which helps keep this site available for you and others to enjoy.

• Manggy June 4, 2008, 9:33 am

Ah, you know I’ve been planning to make sesame noodles for quite a while already, I just keep forgetting! :) I have some cha soba sitting here unused– I’ve become afraid of them as I find the flavor too strong (I like my starches to be neutral). I can just imagine this next to a plate of shrimp and pork dumplings, yumm-o!— (okay, I’m getting Ray-Ray+Homer Simpson-y.) Don’t forget you can also opt to add tofu :)

Yay! You’re making up for lost posts! :D

• Peter G June 4, 2008, 10:42 am

This my friend, looks fantastic! I love that sauce you prepared! I will def be making this.

• Hetal June 4, 2008, 2:30 pm

Wow….lovely recipe..these noodles are very different..

• cookinpanda June 5, 2008, 4:29 am

Lovely and simple. These look great. Your sauce is just perfect. I have a package of buckwheat noodles lying around that I know need to be used…

• Helen June 5, 2008, 9:23 am

Buckwheat noodles are my absolute favourite kind Allen. So satisfying and yet healthy at the same time! And I use the same carb-veggie ratio as you do – I think we are on the same wavelength.

• Ruth Elkin June 5, 2008, 11:09 am

These look really good. I haven’t had noodles in a while… might just have a stir fry tonight now.

• kat June 5, 2008, 12:09 pm

Oh my husband loves sesame noodles & we too try to eat healthier so this is perfect, thanks!

• perry June 5, 2008, 6:49 pm

Oh… delightful. Sensible seasame soba!

*grins*

• Arundathi June 6, 2008, 12:16 am

love buckwheat noodles – we even get them here in india! after i moved back from CA, I looked everywhere and finally found them – they have so much flavor. And the sugar snap peas look lovely!

• Hillary June 6, 2008, 8:28 am

That looks like SUCH a good meal…hearty, healthy and delicious!

• eddybles June 7, 2008, 1:17 pm

Easy but tasty. Exactly what I need on a sweltering east coast weekend. Thanks!

• RecipeGirl June 8, 2008, 7:21 am

I’m quite fond of pasta too so I’m digging your rule for the 1:1 ratio. I’ll have to check out buckwheat noodles…

• Joe June 8, 2008, 8:51 pm

The noodles tasted so good the first time he made it a month ago that I had to ask Allen to post a blog about it. If nothing else, at least we have the recipe documented somewhere so if we both quit our jobs and do the farmers markets circuit, this will be the signature dish. This is how much I love it!

• looksgoodinpolkadots June 10, 2008, 10:28 am

Um… Yummy. I will have to see if I can find Buckwheat noodles without any gluten containing ingredients. My kids will gobble this up!

Cheers!
    Jamie

Welcome to Eating Out Loud and thank you for visiting. You’ll find delicious recipes, crochet patterns, quilting ideas, and a wide range of other topics of interest to me.